Because Travel Should Meet ANY Budget!
Do what you love, love what you do!
When I was in America, I had an apartment, a job (two or three jobs at once in fact) and bills. I had a beat up truck and insurance payments. I had rent due. I had a crappy boyfriend. And then one day I woke up and realized, "What the hell am I doing? I'm not even happy!" So I donated all my furniture to a Good Will, sent the rest of my small boxes to live with my mother and packed a suitcase. Now, traveling doesn't always mean you have to do what I did and leave everything behind. It was the right decision for my life and I never looked back since. And that was back in 2009! However, being aware of a few details that could be costing you money and keeping you from your travels never hurts, so here are a few pointers. And, if you do decide you want to pack everything and head for the horizon, read below!
Money Saving Tips
- Cancel your tv dish / netflix etc.
- Sell your tv / other things you don’t need
- De-clutter your life – sell, donate, give to friends/family or junk it!
- Stop eating out / drinking out—no more $4 coffees each morning!
- Get rid of your expensive phone, get a cheap smart phone that you can travel with that is sim unlocked
- Prioritize your life—what really matters to you? Things? Or experiences?
- Sell your car / rent it out to someone --I've even heard of apps that allow you to rent out your car!
- Put your house/apartment or spare bedroom up on Airbnb
- Pay off your debts and stop adding too them!
- Put money in a savings account ($1000 per month is enough in nearly every country to pay for your rent/travel expenses/meals etc.)
- Book a one way ticket or a cheap round-trip from a mainstream city like LAX or JFK airport
- Pack light
- If you can’t afford it, find sponsors / donors to fund a trip for you to help raise awareness for your favorite charity / organization
- Have a cause and volunteer to those causes abroad!
- Be open minded to destinations that scare you / make you nervous
- Travel to cheap countries! I survived on $10 a day while traveling through South East Asia (Including food and hostels!)
- Stop making Excuses. It's ok, we all do it from time to time. But know when it's time to stop making excuses and just get out there and do it already!
- Splurge on flight tickets, not expensive restaurants or cinema tickets while living at home
- Be willing to make sacrifices. Sure, you may need to eat in more at home, but soon your hard earned savings will amass to a travel experience that will make all those pasta lunches worth it!
- Stay positive.
"If you think you can, your right. If you think you can't, your right." -Henry Ford
A Few Job Ideas to Work While Traveling
- Work on a Cruise Ship/Sailing Company
- Freelance Travel Writer / Photographer
- Travel Film
- Teach English / Languages Abroad
- Become a Digital Nomad
- House sitting abroad
- International work with horses
- Find a hobby/passion and contact others in various countries
- Give Clinics / Public Speaking
- Coach a sports team abroad
- Study / University Exchange Programs
- Work on a farm/ranch or with agriculture
- Be an au pair
- Work in a hostel abroad in exchange for free room and board
- Give free walking tours in a city you love and get paid with tips
- Get a "Working Holiday Visa" in New Zealand or Australia
- Bar Tending in Macau
- Become a Social Media "Influencer" and get companies to pay you for posts on your Instagram / YouTube etc. This requires a bit of a following first, but can be worth it in the end!
- Peace Corps
- Work for an NGO (Non-Government-Organization)